Awesome Open Company
(click here to jump straight to the list below.)
Table of contents
What is an open company?
An open company is defined, for the purposes of this list, as a for-profit organization whose core practices are guided by principles of openness, transparency and interoperability. This philosophy can be summarized by the maxim:
Share as much as possible, charge as little as possible.
In practice, this often means:
- releasing its products as free and open source software, open content, or open source hardware
- using open standards and inter-operable formats
- developing its products openly, using public communication channels
- publishing as much financial and operational data as possible, without compromising customer privacy.
The following pages provide a more detailed overview of this concept:
- Don Tapscott, Anthony D. Williams: Wikinomics
- James M. Whitehurst: The Open Organization: Igniting Passion and Performance
- The Open Organization Field Guide
- Paul Graham: What business can learn from open source
- Massimo Menichinelli: Business models for open hardware
- Roger Clarke: Open source software and open content as models for eBusiness
- Chris Anderson: A business model for open source hardware
- The Economist: Open-source business: Open, but not as usual
- Chad Whitacre: The second open company
- Timothy Cook: Why open companies? A new culture of business
- Shereef Bishay: The open enterprise manifesto
- The Open Company Initiative directory (OCI):
A group of companies which explicitly adopted OCI's openness pledge
- The Open 100: a competition held in 2009-2010 to find the top 100 open innovation companies
- (defunct — these links are from the Web Archive)
- The VAR Guy's The Open Source 50 (2009 list, 2010 list, 2012 update)
- Awesome Open: A curated list of organizations, projects and initiatives that maintain open codebases and datasets
This work and all contributions to it are released into the public domain under the terms of the CC0 1.0.
Contribute to this list: https://github.com/opencompany/awesome-open-company