Awesome Non-Financial Blockchain
Curated list of projects that build non-financial applications of blockchain.
The blockchain is an incorruptible digital ledger of economic transactions that can be programmed to record not just financial transactions but virtually everything of value (by Don Tapscott).
Most applications of blockchain lie in a financial realm. That makes non-financial applications even more intriguing.
Industry of a blockchain application is defined by the one that is changed the most. For example, discontinued IoT bitcoin micropayments startup 21 (now Earn.com) could significantly change both IoT and Financial sectors. Financial industry would expand its current practice to a new domain. For IoT, however, business model would change significantly. That intuition commands current classification.
Public Blockchain Identity
- Blockstack - Platform for decentralized, server-less apps where users control their data. Identity included.
- Evernym - Self-Sovereign identity built on top of open source permissioned blockchain.
- Jolocom - Self-sovereign identity wallet.
- SIN - Proposed identity protocol for BitCoin.
- uPort - Self-Sovereign identity on Ethereum by ConsenSys.
Blockchain as a collateral
- ShoCard - Proprietary digital identity service, uses blockchain for time-stamping and secure documents exchange.
- Tradle - Makes a bank on blockchain, identity as a collateral.
- KYC Chain - Secure platform for sharing verifiable identity claims, data or documents among financial institutions.
- ObjectChain Collab - Cross-industry collaboration over distributed identity.
- UniquID - Identity both for people and devices.
- Vida Identity - Enterprise-grade Blockchain Identity Software.
- ID3 - Institute for Data Driven Design, explores issues around self-sovereign identity, and distributed organizations.
- OpenCreds - W3C Credentials Community Group.
- TAO Network Identity - Description of blockchain identity by Tao.Network.
Internet of Things Applications
- Chronicled - IoT devices registry on blockchain.
- Filament - Software and hardware for decentralized Intranet of Things systems
- IOTA - Decentralized Internet of Things token on blockless blockchain.
- Machinomy - Distributed platform for IoT micropayments.
- Project Oaken - IoT blockchain platform.
- Slock.it - Ethereum-based platform for building Shared Things.
- bankymoon - Blockchain consultancy. Presented bitcoin-topped smart electricity meter. Once topped up, it chooses a plan, and starts moving energy.
- Co-Tricity - Decentralised energy marketplace by Innogy and ConsenSys.
- Electron - Reinventing energy on blockchain.
- GridSingularity - Blockchain for Smart Grid. Declare three years of work on the technology.
- lo3 energy - Energy Services, Product Research & Development. Makers of Brooklyn Microgrid along with ConsenSys.
- lumo - Energy provider. Experiment with blockchain.
- PowerLedger - Decentralised energy marketpace.
- PowerPeers - Peer-to-peer energy marketplace in the Netherlands.
- Solar Change - Makers of Solar Coin. AltCoin for a MW of solar power.
- Terraledger - Provider of Renewable Energy Certificates.
- ImpactPPA - Reinvesting of power generated under Power Purchase Agreement in more PPAs.
Media and Journalism
- Steem - Decentralized social network which incentivises content creation and curation.
- PopChest - Incentivized distributed video platform.
- Civil - Decentralized newsmaking platform.
Talks and Books
- 19 Industries The Blockchain Will Disrupt - List of industries to be changed by blockchain.
- Blockchain Revolution - Probably the best book on blockchain applications.
- EventHorizon - First global summit on blockchain technology in Energy Sector.
- How the blockchain is changing money and business - TED Talk from the author of "Blockchain Revolution" book on what is blockchain and its applications.
- Non Financial Uses of Blockchain Technology - Presentation of non-financial uses of blockchain at Fintech Week 2016.
Contribute to this list: https://github.com/machinomy/awesome-non-financial-blockchain